Undergraduate Research

Students working on the clean bench in Prof. Gunter's lab

More than 30% of the AE School's undergraduates get involved in research

You might surprise yourself by becoming one of them. Here are four steps that could lead you there.

  1. Look at the Daniel Guggenheim School's eight multidisciplinary research areas (MRA). See what problems each area tackles and what skills, knowledge, or background each area requires.
  2. Visit the online profiles and individual labs of the faculty who are involved in the MRA (s) that interest you. See if those faculty are seeking a skillset or knowdege base that you have or can develop. If you are unsure of exactly what is needed, you might email your questions directly to that professor. .
  3. Look for research openings at the beginning of each semester. During registration, the AE School hosts a webpage that lists dozens of research openings for credit. When that website is posted, it will be announced in the AErial View.
  4. Paperwork. Once you have settled on a research project, the faculty will fill out paperwork granting you a permit to register for AE 2699 or AE 4699. You will also need to submit a research permit.

Credit. The credit-hours you earn may be used to meet the requirements for AE's free elective hours as well as the research requirements of the AE Honors program and the BSAE Research Option program.

Pay. For qualified students, paid undergraduate research opportunities are often available. Those students register for AE 2698 or AE 4698 and, upon completion, receive an audit grade. Audit hours do not count towards the 132 credit-hours needed for an AE degree; however, AE 2698 and AE 2698 may be used to meet the research requirements of the AE Honors and the BSAE Research Option programs.

Find out more about undergraduate research permits